Thursday, October 23, 2008

Technique

So when I first started sketching over 15 years ago (has it been that long???), I would use a standard #2 pencil and really cheap paper (although cheap, I liked it because it allowed for lots of smudging, which is what I do). I liked the sketches, but I was always in awe of other pencil artists... how on earth did they get all those textures in there?

Very recently I learned about softer - and harder - pencil types, and also discovered smudging stumps and those other ones... tortilonnes? I picked up a whole set of pencils and stumps, and I'm like a kid in a candy store. I LOVE LOVE LOVE playing with pencil and textures. I've discovered that I'm most definitely a smudger/sketcher, although my self-editor (left brain) does like to point out all the little imperfections in my work. I literally have to shut that voice down until I'm ready to critique my own work - a glass of wine does the job, as does being really, really tired... which is why I do most of my actual work late at night, when my right brain seems to dominate (also why I get really weird paranoid ideas at night.. that might be a good post for later).

Anyway I find myself grabbing all sorts of things for smudging purposes.... tissues, paper towels, the cat (no, not really), just to see what I can create with these things. Fun! I'd like to post some pics of my works-in-progress, but I've got to run. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment